This virtual training provides a complete introductory overview of how to start and sustain a nonprofit immigration legal services program. Participants will review important lessons from CLINIC’s highly regarded manual, Managing an Immigration Program: Steps for Creating and Increasing Legal Capacity. The training will include a combination of live and recorded sessions along with scheduled time for open forum discussions and interactive exercises on topics covered. Participants will leave with a plan to create or improve their immigration legal services program. Past participants have used information from this training to build or expand their legal immigration capacity.
Participants will learn:
- Importance of policies and procedures for their program;
- Case intake and management strategies;
- How to determine which client cases to accept;
- How to avoid unauthorized practice of law;
- How to set fees to obtain the best support for their program;
- Best practices for staff supervision and retention; and
- Strategies for working with funders.
This training is suitable for program staff from a wide range of organizations, including established immigration programs; ethnic and immigrant organizations; domestic violence and sexual assault coalitions and service providers; unions, social services and medical providers; and educational programs, such as ESL and citizenship classes.
Training prices: CLINIC Affiliates – $260, Nonprofit Agency Staff – $285, Private Attorneys and Staff – $415
* Registration deadline: September 20, 2021