Is your organization part of a family of organizations? Thinking about creating a new entity? This session examines the different roles of 501(c)(3)s, (4)s and political organizations, and explores the federal tax rules on how these organizations can work together. It will also examine the legal separations necessary between affiliated organizations, such as funding and fundraising constraints, and permissible electoral activities.
This one-hour webinar addresses:
- The definition of political activity
- The best practices of c3-c4 work
- How to prepare for the possibility of a politically motivated attack
- The difference between organizations and importance of segregation
- How to managing distinct but complementary online presences (social media, website, email lists)
- How to allocate costs between c3/c4 for different expenses (administrative, overhead, shared equipment, etc.)
- Timekeeping: what activities should be coded to lobbying/political activity?
If you are a HILSC member organization, please contact Paola for access code.